Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Buttercup Lemon Cupcake


Buttercup Bake Shop Lemon Cupcake, http://www.buttercupbakeshop.com/

Taste: I LOVE lemon, but this was awful-- my mouth puckered up at the strong artificial lemon flavor in the frosting-- have you ever had a Warhead candy? That level of sour-- and the sourness was so overpowering that even the confectioner's sugar didn't add a sweetness, but the whole sugar/super sour combination made me almost choke. The cake was advertised as a lemon cake, but I didn't taste any lemon at all in the cake, just a plain, boring, near-tasteless golden cake. Overall Taste Rating: 1 out of 5 Sprinkles

Texture: The frosting is dense and a little chalky. The cake is a little bit dry. Blech. Overall Texture Rating: 2 out of 5 Sprinkles

Aesthetic: The artificial fluorescent yellow color borders on frightening. The amount of color dye that must be in there frightens me. It looks to me a little bit like Elroy Jetson's cartoon hair. I guess it's proportionate and festive, but... I'm not impressed. Overall Aesthetic Rating: 2.75 out of 5 Sprinkles.

Satisfaction: A VERY disappointing cupcake for a lemon-lover such as myself. I'm an extreme lemon cake lover-- when I was a little girl, I used to always ask for a lemon flavored birthday cake, which was not especially popular amongst the majority of children attending my birthday parties, but I absolutely loved. I also had a deep childhood love of Freihofer's Lemon Cupcakes, which I have not been able to find since my childhood, but were boxed Freihofer's cupcakes with lemon frosting, vanilla cake, and a lemon curd filling inside the center of the cupcake. They were the best, though I believe they were discontinued decades ago. And I'm obessed with the Lemon Cake at Del Frisco's Steakhouse, which is always available though not always listed on the dessert menu-- if you're ever there, definitely ask for it, it's outrageously good. Anyway, I LOVE lemon cake, and this was awful, absolutely awful. This is NOT the place to find a good lemon cupcake. Overall Satisfaction Rating: 0 out of 5 Sprinkles

Overall Cupcake Ranking: 5.75 Sprinkles (out of 20 possible)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2009 CupcakeRankings.com