Monday, May 18, 2009

Crumbs Bake Shop Chocolate Frosting on Vanilla Cake



Crumbs Bakery Chocolate Frosting on Vanilla Cake, $2.95 each, http://www.crumbs.com/

Taste: The icing is sweet but chocolatey, with excellent flavor-- very similar to Magnolia's chocolate buttercream, but without that mouth-full-of-confectioner's-sugar taste. The cake is the same delicious vanilla cake that I gave such favorable reviews to in the Crumbs Vanilla-on-Vanilla Cupcake review-- flavorful, vanilla-y, delicious. The taste of the vanilla cake blended together with the chocolate frosting hits the perfect note. Overall Taste Rating: 5 out of 5 sprinkles!!
Texture: The icing is creamy and smooth, the cake moist and soft, as I've been coming to count on from Crumbs! Overall Texture Rating: 5 out of 5 sprinkles!!
Aesthetic: The only place I can possibly find fault with the cupcake is in the aesthetics department-- as you can see from the photo, the cupcake was a bit lopsided, and the icing was unevenly applied and there is a slight scuff on the surface. I noticed this as I was paying for my cupcakes and wished the gentleman helping me in the store knew I was planning to critique the cupcakes so he'd offer me one of the more presentable cupcakes available in the display, but alas, my identity as the Cupcake Connoisseur cannot be known. I am forced to judge each cupcake as I find them, and so despite this cupcake's grand scale, beautiful golden colored cake and chocolate-hued frosting, and cheery inch-high band of densely packed rainbow sprinkles, the sloppiness in its execution loses it a critical point. Overall aesthetic ranking: 4 out of 5 sprinkles.
Satisfaction: Like with the Crumbs vanilla, I was surprised to find there was no extra shot of filling hidden inside, as I've experienced with many of their cupcakes in the past, but luckily the large heaping of icing provided on top more than did the trick. This cupcake was rich and satisfying, and so big that eating half or less was enough to satisfy, and the rest could be saved for later or shared with friends. Completely yummy! Overall Satisfaction Rating: 5 out of 5 sprinkles!!

Overall Cupcake Ranking: 19 Sprinkles (out of 20 possible)-- Just one sprinkle away from perfection!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2009 CupcakeRankings.com