Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cupcake Cafe Mocha Buttercream on Chocolate Cake

Beautiful Mocha Frosting on Chocolate Cake Cupcakes all in a row:
You can see the chocolate frosted cupcakes that I did not sample on the rack below the mocha:
The specific mocha frosted chocolate cupcake I sampled:
The mocha cupcake I sampled, pictured on the right:

Cupcake Cafe Mocha Frosting on Chocolate Cake, $2.50, http://www.cupcakecafe-nyc.com/?KMLID=6140, 9th Ave and 40th Street

Taste: The mocha buttercream is really unique and interesting-- it's a nice mocha, sweet and yet coffee-flavored at the same time-- it reminds me of the flavor of coffee ice cream. The white flower on top is regular vanilla buttercream, which I like even better than the mocha buttercream-- sweet yet light and milky. The chocolate cake is where this cupcake lost me-- bitter, not sweet, just not pleasing to my palate. Overall Taste Rating: 3 out of 5 sprinkles

Texture:
The buttercream is incredibly light-- it must be whipped, and might be the french recipe that uses egg whites to achieve a perfectly fluffy, light meringue-buttercream. It melts on my tongue into utter deliciousness. The cake texture is a little bit dry, but it moistens up nicely in my mouth and it holds together well. The cake is very dense, which I don't love in a cupcake. Overall Texture Rating: 3 out of 5 sprinkles

Aesthetic:
The Cupcake Cafe cupcakes are beautifully decorated! They sell a variety of cupcakes with different multi-colored flowers decorating the top, and they are breathtaking. These are the kind of cupcakes that would be perfect to serve for a special occasion, artistically done and the sort of specialty cupcake it's not easy to re-create at home. Overall Aesthetic Rating: 5 out of 5 sprinkles!!!

Satisfaction:
The taste of this cucpake wasn't stellar, but it's beauty was unparalleled! And for such a gorgeous cupcake, I felt like $2.50 was a steal price for it! There is no disputing that the Cupcake Cafe knows how to make gorgeous confections!!! Overall Satisfaction Rating: 4 out of 5 sprinkles

Overall Cupcaking Ranking: 15 Sprinkles (out of 20 possible)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2009 CupcakeRankings.com